Home pageHome page Storia AgriturismoHistory Agriturismo langheFarm Cucina LangheCooking Camere LangheRooms Agriturismo LangheMap Foto LanghePhoto

Contatti agriturismoContact

Lequio Tanaro

Lequio Tanaro is located a few kilometres from Bene Vagienna, where the Padan Plain ends. From the main square, which carries the name of Senator Giacomo Curreno, it is possible to ideally open a "window" to catch a glimpse of the breathtaking view.

Underneath, the millenary, immense Tanaro valley extends itself, in front of hills with a magical undulating profile which seem to endlessly stretch, hills that have made Germans and Swiss fall in love, hills belonging to Fenoglio's "madre Langa".
A look at the parish church of San Michele Arcangelo, small and welcoming place of cult in baroque style consecrated in 1765.

The history of the town is closely intertwined with that of the nearby Augusta Bagiennorum first, and of Bene Vagienna after.
Located along the road that connected Pollenzo to the ancient capital of Vagienni, it followed all the civil and ecclesiastic events of the latter until the end of the Seventeenth century. It became an independent reality with the name of Lequio Piemonte, which was afterwards changed to Tanaro in order not to confuse it with Lequio Berria and it acquired the title of county. It was enfeoffed to the Salmatoris family, who kept the title until 1814.

In 1928 Lequio joined Bene Vagienna, and then it again became an autonomous municipality just after the war.
Besides the already mentioned parish church, the following are worthy of mention: the Confraternita dei Disciplinandi Bianchi, baroque church of Mid Nineteenth century; the parish church of Sant'Onorato, church with a nave and two side aisles, the Sanctuary of the Madonna del Lago, known anciently as Santa Maria ad Leucum, which, in spite of the changes it underwent over the years, is the most ancient church existing in Lequio, which originally dates back to the IX century.
At the beginning of the century, Lequio had already more than 1600 inhabitants and this number was reduced to 700 due to the depopulation of the countryside. .